10.18.2006

Surgery #2: Day 2 Post-Op News

Avery has done very well today. They removed her breathing tube at about 1:00 today. She didn't have any trouble with that. She was on an additional blow-by of oxygen right after, but her blood gases were so good a couple hours later that she is not on any extra oxygen now. She is doing it all and well on her own. YEAH! She had woken several times. Some of them were content periods and some of them were crying periods. But she has calmed well and quited with a push of her pain pump. She looks great. The swelling is really very minimal. She can open both eyes. Following the first surgery, her left eye was swollen shut by this time. Dr. Kossoff (her neurologist) was really impressed with how well she looked today. He is feeling pretty positive with her recovery. We also saw a couple other neurologists who also seem to think things are going well so far. One said that he had just come from a conference with Dr. Jallo and that Dr. Jallo was "pleased as punch"...so we are praying that things continue to go so well. It is possible that she will get moved to the Intermediate Care Unit tomorrow sometime. So far we have not seen any of the you-know-whats; we are cautiously optimistic. They will turn her head to midline tomorrow and she will likely get to lost the catheter and that arterial line in her groin. Please pray that things continue to go well and that she is free of the mean things. In any case, we are so glad to be on the road to recovery from this surgery. She is such a tough little girl. We are amazed at her strength. Jon, Caiden and I are working through our colds. Caiden is doing much better and I am at least no worse. Jon is dealing with a very stuffy head. Hopefully, in a couple days, we will all be well past it. I know Caiden is wanting to see Avery so badly at this point. Mom and Dad P got off at the airport OK and should be home by now I expect. Hopefully they can get everyone in Florida updated on their perspective of this surgery soon. We just finished dinner here. Caldwell Bankers made dinner for the families here in the house. That was so very nice. Actually, there are very often dinners for the families put on by various groups. I think this week there is only 1 day that a dinner has not been provided. It is such a blessing to be here and to have such great support. Well, I don't kknow much more. I will continue to keep you all updated. Thanks for all the wonderful emails today. You are all so kind and wonderful to us. We love you.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holly, Jon, Caiden, and Marilyn -

I'm so glad to hear everything is going well with Avery. I think of you every day and I will continue praying for a speedy recovery with no complications. I can't wait to see you all when you get home!

Lots of love,
Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Holly, Jon, Caiden, and Avery,

I am missing the little sweet pea and have been thinking about you all frequently. I'm glad to hear that you are all on the mend, especially Avery! I can't wait to see you all but until then I will keep you in my prayers.
Love, Elaine

Anonymous said...

Woo hoo! Two "yuckie-free" days! Keep it up munchkin:)You're doing awesome!

Love,
Heather

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU GOD FOR KEEPING YOUR HAND UPON AVERY , THE DRS AND THE FAMILY. GOD IS SO GOOD ! WE PUT ALL OUR TRUST IN HIM.
I PRAY LORD THAT YOUR HAND CONTINUES TO GUIDE HEALING , STRENGH AND REST FOR ALL ,SO YOUR CHILDREN AND MY FAMILY CAN RETURN HOME SOON.

WHAT WONDERFUL NEWS
PRAYERS AND LOVE ALWAYS
DAD AND LINDA

Anonymous said...

I think of you and Avery and Caiden and John every day. I don't understand how you manage to get through this. You keep saying how Avery is so strong and tough, but the same applies to you. Sending you a big hug and lots of strength to get through this.

KimV (OLQ)

Anonymous said...

Hi Holly,
Just wanted to let you know that we pray for and are thinking of you each and every day. I know that God will continue to care and watch over you all. God bless!
Rhonda & Steve

amy werner said...

Hey guys!
I just now saw that you can leave comments. Usually I just check to see how she is doing and sign off cause the rascals don't allow time for much else but right now they are both asleep. I am so glad Avery is a tough little girl she will recover quickly with that determination and I am glad you all fought for what is best for her. Don't get in a Momma's way when her baby is in trouble. That is why God gave you his angel cuz he knew you would do what is best for her. I am in awe of all of you. I pray for you every chance I get. Well, there's Ricky calling for me. Stay strong and take care of yourselves too!
Love you all!
Amy

Anonymous said...

ALLLLL RIIIGHT!!!!!! What exciting and gratifying news! I am so glad Avery has had two good days and is already off some of the machines. I can only imagine the joy you must be feeling! I hope you all keep getting better day by day.

Blessings to each of you,
Jenny Giddens

Happy Avery Doll. August 2006

Happy Avery Doll.  August 2006
Professional Portrait by Debra's Studio, Tell City, IN...Thanks so much for donating this picture!

WELCOME

Thanks for visiting The Paauwe Report blog page. We are happy to share our journey and life with you. Please take a moment and leave a comment on our posts. We love to hear from you!

Little Miss Sweet Pea. September 27, 2006

Little Miss Sweet Pea.  September 27, 2006
Sleeping Beauty, the night before first surgery.